Friday, October 17, 2008

South Dakota Vacation: Wall



We stopped in Wall to visit the world-famous Wall Drug Store - home of "free ice water." It was ... umm ... innnteresting. Kind of like, "Prairie Dog Town" interesting, for those of you familiar with my hometown of Oakley, Kansas. Most of the displays were circa-1960 and covered in a fine layer of dust, but I think it was intended to be kind of kitschy.

At this point in the trip, I had a pretty bad cold and had almost completely lost my voice, so we stopped in the pharmacy part of the city-block-long building, so that I could find something for my throat. When I asked the lady behind the counter if some Mucinex might help me, she said, "Oh no. I tried that once, and it tasted awful. Why don't you just drink something hot." I'm guessing she is not their top salesman.

Out back, there was a nice outdoor area filled with fun activities for kids. Allison enjoyed the giant jackelope statue and the covered wagon, but she was definitely not a fan of the giant T-Rex. (It was "too woud and sca-wee") The bucking bronco pictures totally crack me up. That horse had definitely seen better days.

But the most memorable part of the day was when we stopped for supper at a little cafe across from Wall Drug. It wasn't much to look at, and the food proved to live up to the decor. I ordered pasta alfredo, and when our waitress brought the order, Allison began pointing excitedly at something on my plate. "Ohhh, a fly! A fly!," she exclaimed. And sure enough - there, on my broccoli, was a housefly in its last death throes. After a few spastic leg jerks, it died on my steamed vegetable. Stacy kept telling me to, "say something!" but I just flicked the bug off my plate and stared at my pasta. Long story short, I didn't mention it to the waitress, left hungry, and ended up having a pizza delivered to the hotel that night.


No comments: