Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mmm, It's Like Buttah


I love anything made from sweet potatoes. I can't help it - I yam what I yam. (groan)

I'm crazy for sweet potato soup, sweet potato casserole, baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato pie, sweet potato fries, sweet potato gumbo ... ok, maybe I went a little too "Bubba Gump" just now.

Anyway, I really want to try this Sweet Potato Butter recipe for Thanksgiving. I think it would be delightful, spread on warm, fresh-from-the-oven bread. Hope it tastes as good as it looks!

SWEET POTATO BUTTER
3 large sweet potatoes, about 3 cups mashed
2 c apple cider (not sweetened)
1 c sugar
1 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Preheat oven to 400 F. Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes & bake for about 1 hour or until soft. Peel the roasted potatoes, put them in a large pot & mash them with a potato masher or fork. Add the cider & sugar & bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cinnamon & allspice. Reduce the heat to low & allow to simmer for about 2 hours, stirring from time to time. The mixture should thicken to a thick mashed potato-like texture as the liquid cooks out. Use a blender to get all the lumps out & get a perfectly smooth texture. Makes about 3 cups and should be stored in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, on the other hand, think sweet potatoes are normal potatoes ugly sister, and that the only vegetable more distasteful is broccoli. That stuff in the bowl looks like what they fed to "RoboCop". Please put me down for one extra helping of anything but this for Thanksgiving dinner.

The husband

Dahnks said...

You need to let me know how this goes.. sounds yummy!