Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Big Four-Oh



Stacy's friend Cary just turned 40, and we threw a little surprise party for him the first weekend in April. Cary's three brothers, Stacy's brother Stann, and Bill Noone all traveled many miles to join the fun in Kansas City. On Saturday morning, we ventured to Sadler's Indoor Racing for some go-kart action. I have never seen seven adult men revert to childhood so fast in my life! They watched a safety video, grabbed their hair-nets (see pic #2) and helmets, then whizzed around the track, racing each other and crashing into things. Allison and I just cheered them on from the sidelines. It was pretty noisy and the place reeked of fumes, but the fellas seemed to be having fun. Afterward, they compared injuries and pointed to various sore spots on their bodies. That evening, we all met up at Cary's house and barbecued ribs and steaks. "The boys" smoked cigars and drank adult malt beverages, while Allie and I went upstairs and played with Tessa's Barbie dolls. We collectively gave Cary the gift of, "The Richard Petty Driving Experience," which means that he gets to be a passenger in a real NASCAR race car at Kansas Speedway. I think the guys enjoyed their weekend of being boys again - there was lots of X-box, reminiscing, and male bonding all around.

No comments: